Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What I Didn't See

When I was in the Rijksmuseum in early April, it was, of course packed, not like this. (be patient, this link takes a second to load up)


It's impossible to see, during the pan, but on the wall just after the Vermeers are three de Hooch's of ever-increasing complexity and depth, quite wonderful.


What I didn't see was the third Vermeer, Woman Reading a Letter.


I remember when I got home, leafing through a Vermeer book and wondering why the Rijksmuseum hadn't put up that great painting.


I suppose I was distracted by my absorption in its neighbors, Little Street and Milkmaid.


Or maybe I can blame the crowds.


I am absolutely sure I didn't see the Rijksmuseum's fourth VermeerLove Letter, which is one among many treasures in storage during the eternal restoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment